1. – PREMISE
The work of Locating Buried Utility in opportunities, it corresponds to work in Tanks or Basements, which we commonly call, Confined Space so our Management Safety Advisor, has instructed our Locators on the risk considerations to be taken into account when performing work in confined space.
2. – OBJECTIVE
Establish rules and procedures concerning the entry and/or execution of work in confined spaces to control the risks inherent in such work, thus preserving the health of workers and the integrity of the place where the work is performed.
3. – FIELD OF APPLICATION
Applicable to all work to be executed with your own effort in confined spaces. It involves all the Locators responsible for the operation.
4. – CONFINED SPACE
It is an enclosure with entry and exit restrictions, space limitations, poor natural ventilation, which contains or may contain or generate hazardous pollutants, oxygen-deficient and/or flammable atmosphere and which the worker has to enter to do his work.
5. – ARE EXAMPLES OF CONFINED SPACES
Storage tanks, basements, sewers, pipes, trenches deeper than 4. 5 feet, ducts, silos, visiting tanks, sump tanks, and wells.
6. – EQUIPMENT TO BE PROVIDED
- Personal Protective Equipment: Helmet, Glasses, Gloves, Smell Mask, Safety Boots, Panties if necessary. Lighting equipment: Head and/or Handheld Flashlight.
- Communication Equipment: Radios and/or Telephones.
- Ventilation Equipment: If necessary use Forced Ventilation Equipment.
- Provide Security Cones and other means of Protection in order to warn that work is being done in that area. To have safety mechanisms to allow the entry and exit of the person to the C. S.
7. – STEP TO FOLLOW TO ENTER CONFINED SPACE
- Open Confined Space Access Lid, using the Appropriate Tools
- Wait at least 5 minutes, for Concentrated Toxic Gases
- Lighting to the internal area of the C.S. to verify the conditions in which it is found, and to decide the method of entry and exit, and if it requires Forced Ventilation.
- Inspect the area for animal lairs and/or poisonous insects.
- Enter the C.S. with the Lighting and Communication Equipment using the Entry Method (ladder if necessary).
- Constantly monitor the condition of the C. S.
- Have constant communication with the person at the entrance to the C. S.
- Once the Activity is finished, close the Access Lid.
8. – EMERGENCY SITUATION
- In the event that the worker loses consciousness within the confined space, the observer/guard shall.
- Call for help immediately.
- Move the injured person to an area with fresh air.
- Apply first aid: artificial respiration, resuscitation.
- Notify Fire Department 911.